• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1/2 cup shredded carrot or summer squash (from about 1 medium carrot), finely
• 1/2 cup scallions, chopped small
• 2 stems garlic tops, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
• 1 pound spinach, kale, or Chard, washed and chopped finely
• 2 medium scallions, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
• 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• crackers, crost ni, carrot st cks, squash slices, Kohlrabi slices, or thick cut
potato chips, for serving
1. Place a fine-mesh strainer in the sink.
2. Heat the oil in a large straight-sided frying pan over medium
heat unti l shimmering. Add the carrot, onion, garlic,
measured salt, and measured pepper and s r to combine.
Cook, s tirring occasionally, unti l the vegetables have softened,
about 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
3. Return the pan to medium heat, add half of the spinach,
season with salt and pepper, and s r to combine. Cook,
s tiring occasionally, unti l the spinach is completely wilted,
about 4 minutes. Add the remaining spinach and cook, tossing
occasionally, unti l completely wilted, about 3 minutes more.
4. Transfer the spinach to the strainer in the sink. Using a ladle,
press on the spinach to squeeze out as much liquid as
possible. Drain and put in a mixing bowl.
5. Add the scallions, sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire,
and lemon juice and s r to combine. Cover ghtly and
refrigerate unti l the flavors meld and the dip is thoroughly
chilled, about 2 hours.
6. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed, then
transfer to a serving dish. Serve with crackers, cros ni, carrot
s cks, kohlrabi s cks, squash s cks, or thick-cut potato chips.
This recipe can be adapted by adding herbs of your choice, or substituting other greens for spinach. I have made it with squash instead of carrot. It stores well in the refrigerator, and makes a great spread!