From “Vegetarian and Vegetable Cooking” by Christine Ingram
4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 eggplant (or Summer squash), cut into chunks
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 coups chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Basil
4 oz. goat cheese, coarsely grated
2 Tablespoons dried bread crumbs
1. Blanch the pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain well.
2. (if using eggplant) Sprinkle the eggplant chunks with salt, place in a colander and leave to drain for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
3. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes until they are soft, then add the
eggplant and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour in the tomatoes, coriander, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for
10 minutes, until the mixture is thick. Cool slightly and stir in the basil and half the
5. Spoon filling into the pepper halves and place in a shallow heatproof serving dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs, then brown lightly under a broiler.