A recipe from Arlington shareholder Elizabeth Mook. She says: “I thought I’d share this recipe with you because it was sooo easy, it cooks up quick unlike some soups, and it can be eaten chilled. I’d never before thought of using summer squash in soup, but my family thought it was yummy. I doubled it, so I easily dispatched with 2 pounds of squash.”
1/2 T butter and 1/2 T olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
1 lb yellow squash or 2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup plain yogurt (plus)
1. Heat oil and butter over medium heat in large saucepan, until a little foamy. Saute onions until they start to brown slightly.
2. Add water, bouillon cubes, zucchini or yellow squash and onions in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Add hot sauce and pepper.
5. Spoon squash mixture into the container of an electric blender.
6. Add yogurt. Process until smooth. (Can also add a little half and half or cream)
7. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe can be frozen or doubled.