Adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook’s Comprehensively Stuffed Squash
This is an extremely adaptable recipe, and is great with Acorn or Delicata squash.
2 medium sized winter squash, halved and pre-baked
2 tbsp butter
1 cup minced onion
1/2 lb mushrooms
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Fresh or dried herbs of your choice: Parsley, sage, and thyme are all good
1/3 cup chopped nuts of your choice: Pecans, walnuts, cashews, pine nuts…
1/3 cup dried fruit: Raisins, dried apricots, dried cherries, figs, cranberries…
2 cups cooked brown rice or bread crumbs
1 cup cheese (optional):
feta or goat cheese, or a sharp cheddar.
1) Cut open, seed, and pre-bake winter squash at 350 degrees.
2) Melt butter in a large skillet; sauté onion until translucent
3) Add mushrooms, garlic, celery, and seasonings, and sauté about 10 minutes.
4) Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. Taste to correct seasoning.
5) Fill the pre-baked squash with stuffing. Bake, covered, until everything is heated through (20-30 min).