From “The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest” by Carol Costenbader (Rachel’s revisions in parenthesis).
6 pounds cucumbers, scrubbed and sliced 1/8” thick
1 1/2 C sweet onions, sliced and peeled
2 cloves garlic (I used more)
1/3 cup salt (I used sea salt)
4 1/2 cups sugar (I used 4 cups)
1 1/2 tsp ground Turmeric
1 1/2 tsp celery seeds
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard seeds (I used brown mustard seeds and 1 tsp ground yellow mustard)
3 cups white vinegar (I used organic apple cider vinegar)
1) In a large bowl combine cucumbers, onions, and garlic. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Cover with ice cubes. Let stand 3 hours. (At the end of this time, sterilize 8 pint jars and new lids in a boiling water bath.)
2) Rinse cucumber mixture well, thoroughly drain mixture, and remove garlic (I left it in)
3) Combine sugar, spices, and vinegar, and heat to boiling in an 8 quart saucepan. Add drained cucumber mixture and heat 5 minutes
4) Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Cap and seal.
5) Process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.